I got a new camera lens for Christmas. I love it. It goes down to an aperature of 1.7f. Lovely for a shallow depth of field (though you have to be very careful what you are focusing on), but also great for allowing a fast shutter speed. An essential for good toddler photography. But even with a shutter speed faster than a fraction of a blink of an eye, it still doesn't always go to plan.....
Not great. I obviously should have cleaned her face, but never mind. Composition is a little off and whilst I do like seeing an in-focus nose, eyes are better. So let's keep trying.....
Ok, getting better but still with the focus on the tip of the nose and not the eyes. Unfortunately she has now seen the camera and has it firmly in her sights.
She's moving in and obviously doesn't know, or probably care, that this isn't her best angle. Maybe the next one will be a winner.....
No.
I'm fending her off with my free hand and she's backing away but clearly displeased about it.
She wants to know what the hell I'm still doing pointing the damn camera at her, and why she can't rub her greasy fingers all over the shiny lens in front of her. And I've blown out the highlights. Again.
She is most displeased. She wants mama to take her camera and back off. Okay, one last try....
And that was it folks. That was the best I got. So believe me when I tell you that getting that "perfect shot" with a toddler is 10% skill and 90% luck.
Not great. I obviously should have cleaned her face, but never mind. Composition is a little off and whilst I do like seeing an in-focus nose, eyes are better. So let's keep trying.....
Ok, getting better but still with the focus on the tip of the nose and not the eyes. Unfortunately she has now seen the camera and has it firmly in her sights.
She's moving in and obviously doesn't know, or probably care, that this isn't her best angle. Maybe the next one will be a winner.....
I'm fending her off with my free hand and she's backing away but clearly displeased about it.
She wants to know what the hell I'm still doing pointing the damn camera at her, and why she can't rub her greasy fingers all over the shiny lens in front of her. And I've blown out the highlights. Again.
She is most displeased. She wants mama to take her camera and back off. Okay, one last try....
And that was it folks. That was the best I got. So believe me when I tell you that getting that "perfect shot" with a toddler is 10% skill and 90% luck.
Kids and animals: always the toughest subjects. That's why you feel quite chuffed whenever you manage to get a good shot of them!
ReplyDeletexoxo