Friday, 7 January 2011

Every parent's conundrum - to read or not to read the parenting "manuals"

Parenting books.  Now there's a market someone's making a lot of money in.  I can't say I've been terribly obsessive about reading any but I'll admit to having perused a few.  Despite having plucked some very useful information from some of them, I've found myself disagreeing with a fair bit as well.  My tactic thus far has been to just pick and choose, use what I like and ignore any bits I don't.  Am I naive to think I can just mother by my instincts and assume I'll end up with a well adjusted child with no long term sleep/food/attachment issues?  

Most mainstream parenting books would have me believe that what I am doing will create a child who will permanently cling to me and who will run riot through lack of discipline and boundaries in the few moments she can tear herself away from my side.  A child who will never go to sleep on her own and who will suffer from lifelong sleep disturbances when she finally does fall asleep, and that's only if she's lucky enough to have made it through the day without choking to death on the unsuitable non-pureed foods I've been supplying her with.  

I am eternally thankful when I find a book that I can read and think "Yes, this is what it means to be a parent. This feels right to me."  Unfortunately it seems that these days the concepts that I connect with are no longer the social norm.  I can't tell you how grateful I am to have found some places where I can discuss ideas with like-minded parents. The internet, with all its ills, can be a lifeline sometimes. 

For anyone who is interested in books/websites I have found inspirational, here is a list (you can click on the weblinks):

Unconditional Parenting: Moving From Rewards and Punishment to Love and Reasoning by Alfie Kohn



No comments:

Post a Comment