Yesterday at about 11am I was in the bathroom getting ready for the day (yes, I realise the day had long since started by that time but such is life with a toddler & a newborn) and Chloe came running in with something to tell me. She excitedly bounded around the small room then put in a request in her polite voice, a kind of sing-song sweetly pitched voice she uses when ending a sentence in "please".
"Mama, Dada coffee please. Dada coffee please!"
This phrase was not new to me, Alex had employed our daughter to pass on hot drink requests in the past.
"Ok Chloe, Mama will go make Dada some coffee in a minute", I replied.
I finished putting on my make-up and was about to put the kettle on when I thought I would ask Alex if he wanted me to take Ben and wrap him after I made coffee or if he could wait a bit and I'd wrap Ben first. I needed to gauge how desperately urgent the requirement for caffeine was. Turned out it was pretty urgent. I walked into the living room to find Alex sitting on the sofa, feet up on the coffee table, head bowed down in slumber.
"Huh." I thought to myself, "He looks pretty deeply asleep for someone who just a few minutes ago talked his daughter into ordering some coffee for himself."
Then I considered a second scenario.
"Alex? Sweetie?" He roused to a half awake state.
"Did you send Chloe to ask me to make you some coffee?" He looked confused and muttered "What?" in his semi-awake state.
"Did you send Chloe to ask me to make you a cup of coffee?" He woke up a bit more, continued to look confused and answered "No....."
Scenario number two was starting to take shape. I turned to Chloe.
"Did Dada ask you to ask Mama to make him some coffee?"
"No."
Interesting.
"Did you ask mama to make Dada coffee because you saw Dada sleeping and thought he needed some coffee?"
"Yes..... Dada need coffee wake-up!"
"Mama, Dada coffee please. Dada coffee please!"
This phrase was not new to me, Alex had employed our daughter to pass on hot drink requests in the past.
"Ok Chloe, Mama will go make Dada some coffee in a minute", I replied.
I finished putting on my make-up and was about to put the kettle on when I thought I would ask Alex if he wanted me to take Ben and wrap him after I made coffee or if he could wait a bit and I'd wrap Ben first. I needed to gauge how desperately urgent the requirement for caffeine was. Turned out it was pretty urgent. I walked into the living room to find Alex sitting on the sofa, feet up on the coffee table, head bowed down in slumber.
"Huh." I thought to myself, "He looks pretty deeply asleep for someone who just a few minutes ago talked his daughter into ordering some coffee for himself."
Then I considered a second scenario.
"Alex? Sweetie?" He roused to a half awake state.
"Did you send Chloe to ask me to make you some coffee?" He looked confused and muttered "What?" in his semi-awake state.
"Did you send Chloe to ask me to make you a cup of coffee?" He woke up a bit more, continued to look confused and answered "No....."
Scenario number two was starting to take shape. I turned to Chloe.
"Did Dada ask you to ask Mama to make him some coffee?"
"No."
Interesting.
"Did you ask mama to make Dada coffee because you saw Dada sleeping and thought he needed some coffee?"
"Yes..... Dada need coffee wake-up!"
Yes he does, yes indeed.
Precious moment.
ReplyDelete